A blog about quilts'n stuff

A blog about quilts'n stuff

Thursday 21 June 2012

Quilt festival Groningen 2

Woodwork in the old churches with Lions,  two-headed Eagles (on the other side, you cannot see it here),  Cherubs and Griffins (I think they are)


You might think it a privilege to sit in these benches, but they're just as hard as all the other ones: it's to keep you awake during the sermon! Which is why so many people brought their own cushion (and left it in the church till the next Sunday)


Even in death I'm still important, don't you forget it!
I hope that you can see some of the family arms: I think this shows the complete descent (ancestry) of the person who died. Yes, this is to commemorate the death of 1 person!  They're called mourning boards (in Dutch).


and quilts 
 
As the rich were buried inside the church (and dead people don't tend to smell very nice) in Dutch the rich were called: stinkin' rich


 
and quilts

Organs
Here are the cherubs and griffins.


And here's the organ in a Mennonite church; quite a contrast ...

And quilts


So young and already interested!


I hope you enjoyed it even just a little bit as the Mister and I did.
More pictures of quilts you can find in the Photo Gallery here.

Have a great (quilting) weekend.


6 comments:

  1. Lovely, lovely, lovely, all of it! This may be a bit sacrilegious against quilts but I love the photo of the gold trim organ the most - it is incredible, I've never seen one so ornamental.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these great pictures. They bring me back down memory lane. My father was a priest and I grew up looking at churches everywhere we came. It was always the first stop in a new town. I had enough of churches when I hit 15. Now however, I find myself dragging my kids though at least a few churches a year just to give them the sense of history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for both posts with all the pictures Betty! I agree with Kirsty, the organs are if possible even more splendid than the quilts though the quilts are pretty amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best architects always worked on churches (although there's a hysterical one up at Loch Awe that I love to bits that is so OTT, that I can only imagine the architect was fresh out of school and wanted to try EVERYTHING!) Love all the pics, especially the wee girl with the one wellie on display and the other hidden away, kind of lke one sock up and one down ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing. I love all the extra snippets about the church and history.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful. Love all of the workmanship, whether on quilt or building. It is amazing what a pair of hands can create.

    ReplyDelete